5 sunscreen tips for thorough application
Sunscreen application should be an essential part of your day — right up there with making your bed and eating breakfast in the morning. If you’ve already built it into your routine, then kudos to you...you’re a step ahead of most. According to the Center for Dermatology and Laser Surgery, only 11% of Americans wear sunscreen daily and 46% never wear it at all. Needless to say, if you want to be turning heads well into your elder years, then applying sunscreen thoroughly and regularly is a must.
The best way to develop a new habit is to add it on to a habit you already have. If you moisturize your face every morning, simply add sunscreen into your skincare routine and voilà...you’re on your way to hydrated and protected skin.
Want to maintain dewy skin for life? Read on for 5 key factors to keep in mind to ensure your sun care is working for you.
- Reapply. Apply, apply, and apply again! For pristine results, you need to apply sunscreen multiple times throughout the day. Dermatologists say you should reapply sunscreen every 45 minutes to two hours, especially when you're at the beach/pool or outside for extended periods of time.
- Apply SPF 40+. Most dermatologists suggest an SPF of 30 or higher, but we believe that sun protection should err on the side of caution, with a little more than the recommended SPF 30. We like sunscreens that have SPFs of 40 or higher, and that are water resistant. Your sunscreen should also provide broad-spectrum coverage, which means it protects you from UVA and UVB rays.
- Apply Enough Product. Now is not the time to be skimpy. When it comes to facial sunscreen, dermatologists recommend using 1/2 teaspoon every time you apply. An easy way to measure that is by using the fingertip as your unit of measurement. Make a peace sign and squeeze a line of sunscreen on each finger. That’s about two pea-sized amounts, which is the ideal amount of product you need for your face. To paint a clearer picture, your fingers are hot dogs and the sunscreen is mustard.
- Apply Early. Remember that as soon as your skin is exposed to the sun (whether that be indoors or outdoors), it’s in danger of sun damage. If you wait until you’re already basking in the sun to apply sunscreen, your skin will be more prone to damage. Our tip? Apply sunscreen after you wake up and wash your face, and reapply before you leave the house to go anywhere (or before doing any outdoor activity). Bottom line, just keep slathering.
- Apply All Over. Your face isn’t the only place prone to damage - don’t forget your ears, neck, décolletage, the tops of your feet, and legs. Pay special attention to the backs of your hands - this area is one of the first to show signs of aging since the skin on your hands is so thin and fragile. Your scalp can also potentially burn, so apply sunscreen where your part is, or wear a hat to protect your head more fully. To protect your lips, apply a lip balm with an SPF of at least 30 (or wear well-pigmented lipsticks with iron oxides in them!).
Rather than pouring hundreds (or thousands) of dollars into expensive skincare, simply invest in a good quality sunscreen. Regular sunscreen use is one of the easiest ways you can preserve your skin’s appearance and health - and it’s never too late to start! Using it daily will minimize the risk of sunburn, skin cancer, and premature aging. You'll thank yourself long into the future!